Never feel guilty eating Nutella again - instead try out our recipe for healthy vegan Nutella - the perfect alternative for Pancake Day.
Nutella is the popular hazelnut chocolate spread we all just can’t get enough of. It can be used in and on everything from pancakes to milkshakes to doughnuts – even eating Nutella with a spoon is not considered unusual!
However, whilst Nutella is undeniably tasty, it’s definitely not the healthiest of treats. Although it is branded as a hazelnut chocolate spread, it actually contains more sugar than it does nuts. In fact, sugar is its main ingredient, followed by modified palm oil showing that the Nutella we all know and love is not so nutty but actually more sugary and fatty than anything else.
However, we understand how addictive Nutella can be, and cutting it out of your life may seem unthinkable. That’s why we’ve come up with a recipe for healthy vegan Nutella which is just as delicious and heavenly but without all the added nasties. Even better, you can make this just in time for Pancake Day!
To make this amazing healthy Nutella alternative you’ll need:
- 2 Cups Raw Hazelnuts
- 3-4 tablespoons Raw Cacao Powder
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ Cup Soya Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven at 200 degrees for 8-12 minutes or until their skins start to loosen
- Allow the roasted hazelnuts to cool down for 5 minutes. Then remove their skins by rubbing them in a clean towel
- Put the hazelnuts into a food processor (if you don’t have one, a blender will do) and grind them until they become powdery
- Add the maple syrup, cacao powder and vanilla extract and then blend this altogether until it becomes a paste
- Finally, gradually add the soya milk as you continue to blend to make the mixture more creamy and spreadable
And that’s it – it really is so simple and tastes amazing! Eat it just as you would normal Nutella but without all the guilt!