Have you treated yourself to a shiny new iPhone 7? Well remember that you need to follow these steps to allow your Apple watch to work with your new iPhone...
For many iPhone users the recent launch of the iPhone 7 will mark the first time that they have had to switch their Apple Watch to work with a new iOS device.
However in order for the transition to be as swift and seamless as possible you need to take the following steps in the correct order.
Failure to do so could lead to the loss of historic health and activity data – so pay close attention. It may seem a little convoluted and drawn out but the end results are worth it.
1. Update the old iPhone to the latest version of iOS
The first step is to update your older iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Go to Settings, tap on General and then Software Update
- Tap on Download and Install. Then tap Install.
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
2. Back up your Apple Watch then unpair it from the iPhone
To unpair your Apple Watch, do the following:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone, then select My Watch and tap on your watch at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the i icon.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch, then tap again to confirm the action.
Note: The process of unpairing the Apple Watch backs up your Apple Watch to your old iPhone then erases the Watch’s data. You won’t be able to use the Watch until you pair it again so only start this process when you have your new iPhone ready to use.
3. Back up your old iPhone and transfer the data to your new iPhone
You can backup your old phone via iCloud or iTunes.
Backup via iCloud
- Connect your old iPhone to the internet via WiFi.
- Tap on Settings, iCloud then Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now. Wait until the back up has completed.
- Turn on your new iPhone.
- At the Hello screen press the Home button. Follow the online prompts until you reach the WiFi screen.
- Select the WiFi network you want to join, then follow the onscreen steps until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
- Tap Restore from iCloud Backup then Next
- Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
- Select the Backup that you created from your old iPhone. Wait until the data restore process has completed, ideally with your iPhone plugged into a power supply.
Backup via iTunes
Make sure you have updated to the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your old iPhone to your computer with a USB cable.
- A iPhone icon will appear in the top left corner of the iTunes window, click on it.
- Click on Summary in the left column menu then in the Backups section of the Summary screen make sure Encrypt iPhone backup is checked.
- Enter a password when prompted. Make sure to note it down as you’ll be required to re-enter this when you restore from this backup.
Note: you need to encrypt the backup to allow your Health and Activity data to be moved to your new iPhone
4. Pair your new iPhone to your Apple Watch
- On your new iPhone, tap on Settings, Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is on.
- Check that your new iPhone is connected to WiFi or to a cellular network.
- Turn on your Apple Watch by pressing the side button below the Digital Crown until the Apple logo appears.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your new iPhone.
- Tap Start Pairing on your new iPhone and on your Apple Watch.
- An animation will appear on your Apple Watch, take your new iPhone and center the watch on the screen using the camera until the watch is paired.
- On your new iPhone tap Restore from Backup and select the encrypted backup you made earlier.
Congratulations! You have transferred all your data from your Apple Watch to your new iPhone.